Saturday, August 6, 2011

A Couple of References

In this post I want to share with you the characters who, in some way, have inspired me the most along my tango path.

I’m off course not familiar with every dancer in the world and my time in tango has been not that extended. Also, since I’m not a big fan of YouTube judgements, I’m restricting my view to dancers who I personally seen dancing and/or took classes with.

The two dance couples whom I consider my references have two common traits. Firstly, they are, as far as I can see, extremely professional. I don’t mean with this that they have been making a living out of tango for a long time. I mean: their attitude towards dance, dancers and dance teaching is respectful, humble, hardworking and honest. What am I saying with this? I’m talking about revering the dance as an art form instead of a show; about understanding that we´re always as work in progress that needs to be improved constantly no matter where you stand; about establishing a direct connection between your real life and your dancing presence; about acknowledging that it´s not about you, it´s about the dance and all that comes along with it. Secondly, they are fantastic teachers. They care about their own effectiveness as teaches and also how to improve the teaching technique itself and how to relate it to “real life”.

I first got to know Gonzalo Orihuela and Solange Chaperron during a couple of workshops and at that moment I realized that there was a true engagement between what was being said and the persons doing the talking. Also, the content of the classes was not about a show of moves, it was about engaging the dance personally. Then, I saw them dance and immediately I was struck by their extreme intensity first, and then, by their need to expand tango outside the traditional dogmatic boundaries of conservative tango.



Not a long time ago, I also had the opportunity to have some lessons with Murat and Michelle Erdemsel. I cannot stress how much teaching material I have stolen for my own classes. For me, it was ground-breaking material not only about how to dance but also how to teach dancing. Extremely common sense, structured, clear and energetic. When I saw them dance, the words to describe it were: effortless, elegant. I admire much more than the near flawless technique the perfect balance between the dance couple. Also, as the ones before, I admire the way that other art forms and music styles manage to come together so beautifully with them.



Also to visit:
Murat and Michelle's website
Gonzalo and Solange's website
Gonzalo's blog

No comments:

at the Verening Theater in Nijmegen with Jolanda Walder - 4 Jan 2010

at the Verening Theater in Nijmegen with Jolanda Walder - 4 Jan 2010
at the Verening Theater in Nijmegen with Jolanda Walder - 4 Jan 2010

from a photoshoot for Buenos Aires aan de Waal, Nijmegen. With Jolanda Walder

from a photoshoot for Buenos Aires aan de Waal, Nijmegen. With Jolanda Walder
from a photoshoot for Buenos Aires aan de Waal, Nijmegen. With Jolanda Walder